Make sure that navigational elements such as buttons are in the same place, and in the same order, in your eLearning resource.
How do I comply?
- Navigational elements are forward and back buttons, search fields etc.
- If your rapid authoring tool allows you to add your own navigational elements, make sure that they are in the same place, and in the same order, throughout your eLearning resource. This should be the case, even if you add a new item.
- If you use a menu, make sure it is in the same place on each page. Also make sure that the items in the menu are repeated in more or less the same order on each page.
- The only exception to this standard, is if you allow the learner to change the order or position of the navigational elements themselves. For example, by setting preferences etc.
- All of your learners will benefit from clear and consistent navigation.
- People with cognitive impairments which affect concentration may find it particularly distracting if the navigation is not clear and consistent.
- People who use screen readers find it much easier to navigate through an eLearning resource, if they can predict where navigational elements will appear.
- People who use a screen magnifier, and may only be able to see a portion of the screen at a time, also benefit from being able to predict where navigational elements will appear.
1. Author created consistent navigation
Consistent navigation and quiz feedback
A learner using eLearning resource about health and safety. It shows a menu which is consistent with the topics on the home page. It also shows consistent navigation and quiz feedback.
2. Author tool created consistent navigation
A learner using an eLearning resource about accessibility. The learner selects items from a menu on the right of the screen. This menu is always visible as they select different topics in the course.
How can I test?
View your eLearning resource and make sure that your navigation is consistent, even if you have added new elements during the course.
- Demonstration of screen text magnifier software video
Demonstration of Zoom Text screen magnifier. A useful video to see the magnification which some learners will apply to your eLearning resource.
Make Web pages appear and operate in predictable ways.
|WCAG link||3.2.3 Consistent Navigation (Level AA)|
|WCAG text||Navigational mechanisms that are repeated on multiple Web pages within a set of Web pages occur in the same relative order each time they are repeated, unless a change is initiated by the user.|
Help us to make this page better for everyone in the eLearning community by contacting us with your improvements, examples and suggestions.