Make sure that learners can resize text up to 200% and still carry out all the functions of a page and see all of its content. This should be achievable using standard functionality such as browser zoom rather than assistive technology such as a screen magnifier.
How do I comply?
- Make sure that, with the exception of captions and text in images, you can enlarge the text in your eLearning resource by 200% using browser zoom functionality, without losing any content or preventing the learner from being able to carry out any of the page functionality.
- This is often automatically achieved in eLearning resources depending on the authoring tool you are using.
- Sometimes the ability to enlarge, can be affected by the publishing options you choose when creating your eLearning output. In Storyline for example, it is possible to choose a publishing setting Scale player to fill browser window which locks your eLearning to a particular size. This option should not be chosen as it will mean that the learner will not be able to resize the eLearning resource and the text.
Learners who benefit from this standard include:
- People with low vision who have difficulty reading text in a small font size.
- Older people who are commonly farsighted and have difficulty focusing on nearby objects.
- People affected by situational impairments such as learners who have forgotten their reading glasses or who have monitor with poor screen brightness.
Storyline page enlarged using Chrome browser
An eLearning page viewed using the Google Chrome browser. The learner uses the zoom functionality in the browser to enlarge the slide from 100% to 200%. The video shows that it is still possible to read the text and interact with the button on the slide.
How can I test?
Use the zoom function in any web browser to check that you can enlarge the text in your eLearning resource up to 200%, without loss of content or functionality.
Make it easier for users to see and hear content including separating foreground from background.
|WCAG link||1.4.4 Resize Text (Level AA)|
|WCAG text||Except for captions and images of text, text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200 percent without loss of content or functionality.|
Help us to make this page better for everyone in the eLearning community by contacting us with your improvements, examples and suggestions.